Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Nautical Inspiration


17 Aug 11

One of the benefits of being an artist is the fact that I get to make my own schedule… most of the time. That can be both a bad thing and a good thing. Good thing is the freedom it affords me. Bad thing is the fact I tend to be spontaneous and impulsive. This sort of lifestyle requires good time management and work ethic. Here’s an example, yesterday, I suddenly had this urge to go sailing. Well, renting a sailboat at this time isn’t exactly within my means. I mean, I have my keel boat certification and all, so that means I can take out anything up to 25 feet long, but the cost to rent one was a little more then I wanted to pay. So I settled for a whale watching cruise. Only cost me $15 (I had a coupon) plus $8 for parking. I’ve also wanted to take some new reference photos for a body of work centered on nautical life. Figured I’d try for some shots of sea birds first. So why didn't i go yesterday? Mainly because I felt some other things needed to be finished first before I go running off on what amounts to be a mini vacation. Basically, if I allowed myself to just run off every time I have a whim, I'd never get anything done. So I decided if I completed a reasonable set of goals yesterday, then I'd basically "earn" my trip today. Goals complete, Off on my trip!

I love being on, in, and around the ocean, so I was one happy dude today. Really needed to get-away too, even if it was for just a couple hours. Being that it was a Tuesday, there weren’t many people on the cruise, so it was good day all around.

I slapped together a quick video of my trip. It’s my first attempt at making a video so take it easy on me:







I got a few good shots I plan on seeing if I can use in new drawings, so stay tuned to see what comes of them =).

No comments:

Post a Comment